Liver Transplantation Surgery
Liver Transplant – Liver Transplant is a surgical procedure in which Surgeon replaced diseased Liver or Damage Liver with healthy donor liver. Surgeon may cut 45-60% portion from donor liver or this may come from a living or deceased donor.
What is the Role or primary functions of Liver in our Body?
- Liver is an organ that produces bile that carry away waste and the breakdown of fat in the small intestine during digestion.
- Produce proteins for blood plasma
- Produce of cholesterol
- cleaning the blood and other poisonous substances
- Regulating blood clotting
- Removing bacteria from the bloodstream
- Clearance of bilirubin, also from red blood cells. If there is an accumulation of bilirubin, the skin and eyes turn yellow.
Who can donate Liver?
Donor Types: –
- Living liver donor
Any suitable donor from patient family can donate his/her Liver.
- Donor may be spouse, parents, siblings, grandparents, and children of the recipient.
- He or she must be willing and happy to donate a part of his liver purely for altruistic reasons.
- Donor Liver Regrows its size and in 2-3 months regrow to its actual size